If you or a loved one is living with Alzheimer’s or dementia, you may have heard the term ‘memory care.’ What does memory care entail? Should I consider this option for myself or a loved one?
This blog defines memory care and provides examples of common services and amenities offered in memory care communities.
Defining memory care
Memory care is a type of senior living community that provides housing, personalized care services, and support with daily living activities for individuals with dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, or other cognitive impairment.
Memory care may be a stand-alone community or part of an assisted living or continuing care retirement community.
Ensuring a high quality of life
A dedicated interdisciplinary team receives specialized training to work with older adults experiencing cognitive decline. Staff will learn how to interact with and care for residents living with dementia.
Training usually includes the following:
- Classes on understanding how dementia affects the brain
- Person-centered care to identify individual wants and needs
- Techniques for managing challenging behaviors
- Effective communication strategies
- Memory care programming and activities
Providing a safe, meaningful environment
Memory care staff members are typically available 24 hours a day to meet each resident’s individual needs and ensure their safety.
Team members establish a structured routine in a comfortable, familiar environment from morning until early evening. Memory care communities strive to create life-enriching activities that inspire moments of joy and purpose for residents.
Popular activities in memory care communities include reminiscence, music therapy, art projects, exercise classes, gardening, cooking, walking groups, and more.
Meeting the needs of the residents
Although memory care communities differ in the care, services, and amenities offered, there are usually common features that each community shares.
You can expect to find the following in a memory care community:
- Private apartments and baths
- Chef-prepared meals 3X daily
- Snacks provided throughout the day
- Medication management
- Personal care assistance
- Cognitive and physical therapy
- Fitness opportunities
- Social activities
- Housekeeping and laundry services
- Secure outdoor courtyards
When you’re ready to consider memory care for yourself or a loved one, it’s important to do your research. Explore the community’s website and social media pages. Read online reviews and talk to families whose loved ones live there.
Draft a list of questions, then schedule a time to visit the community. Memory care staff are there to help you in your journey, so don’t be afraid to take your time and ask a lot of questions.
Life at Sonrisa Assisted Living
If you’re looking at options for senior living, we invite your family to visit Sonrisa Assisted Living, designed to support your loved ones to live their highest quality of life.
We offer studio and one-bedroom private apartments for our assisted living residents as well as private or shared memory care suites for those living with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia.
Our memory care residents are cared for by our compassionate and specially trained team — who meet them wherever they are in their journey with patience and kindness. The residents also have access to customized activities, programs, and an elevated secured courtyard.
Our amenities and services encourage our residents in assisted living to engage with others, remain as independent as possible, and be reassured that help is available whenever needed.
In addition to our personalized services, we offer:
- Assisted Living dining room, bistro and two sitting lounge/living room areas
- Memory Care living and dining room
- Elegantly designed common areas
- Fitness and wellness center with physical and occupational therapy room
- A commercial kitchen
- Barber and beauty salon in both assisted living and memory care areas
- 24-hour on-duty care staff
- Secured community
- Art room
- Multipurpose room
- Large state‐of‐the‐art theater
- A large secured Assisted Living and separate Memory Care courtyard with walking paths
- On‐grade parking for immediate use of visitors and staff
- Dog Park
If your family is considering retirement living, we hope you will visit Sonrisa Assisted Living. We are a trusted resource and are here to answer any questions. Contact us today to learn more and schedule a tour.
You may also download our complimentary brochure to get additional details about Sonrisa Assisted Living.