Finding the right senior living community for yourself or a loved one can be a huge task. There are many factors to consider during your senior living search, like cost, amenities, services, living options, and more. How do you know which community is best?
Knowing what questions to ask when you visit different communities can help you feel more confident in your decision. Take notes as you meet with the staff and walk through the community. Don’t be afraid to ask lots of questions — this is a big decision, and it’s important to make sure you gather all the necessary details.
Consider asking these key questions during your senior living community visits.
What floor plans are available?
Find out what living options are available for residents. You’ll want to feel comfortable in your new home and have adequate space for your furniture and favorite things. Here are additional questions to ask about floor plans:
- Does the community have a waitlist for any of the floor plans?
- If so, how long is a typical wait?
- Do apartments come furnished?
- Can I choose flooring, paint color, or any other finishes?
- Can I walk through some of the options to see what I like best?
- Is there additional storage space available?
What amenities do you offer?
Many senior living communities have numerous amenities, but it’s important to keep in mind what matters most to you. Ask what amenities are available to residents and request to see them in person. You may want to ask some follow-up questions about amenities:
- Is there a structured activity program?
- Do residents get to go on outings to nearby events and restaurants?
- What kinds of activities are offered here?
- Do you have a fitness center and/or pool?
- May I have a copy of your current activity schedule?
- Can I attend a few activities that interest me before moving here?
- What dining options are available? Are there set mealtimes?
- Do you provide transportation services for resident appointments?
How much does it cost?
Costs vary from one community to the next, and various factors like size, level of care, and dining plans can also affect cost. Typically, senior living costs are similar to the living expenses of remaining in your home, especially if you’re paying for outside care or household services. Include these questions when discussing cost:
- What are the payment options?
- Do I need to financially qualify to live here?
- What is included in my fees? What services cost extra?
- Do the fees increase each year? If so, what is the average increase?
- Do you have refundable plans?
- Do I have to pay to be placed on the waitlist?
What levels of care do you provide?
Similar to amenities and living options, senior living communities offer a variety of care services too. You’ll want to determine what levels of care are available and what services are provided for each level. Consider asking these questions to gather more information:
- What staff are available with each level of care?
- Do you have a dedicated memory care community? If so, does the staff undergo specialized dementia care training?
- How do the costs differ from one level of care to the next?
- Will I receive priority access to services if I need additional nursing care?
- Do you have a rehabilitation team that includes physical, occupational, and speech therapists?
- Is 24-hour emergency care available to all residents?
- What happens if my spouse needs more care than I do?
How do you keep the community safe?
Feeling safe and secure in a senior living community is essential. It provides peace of mind for residents and their loved ones. You’ll want to have a solid understanding of what plans are in place to handle emergencies and illnesses. The following questions can help clarify how safe the community is:
- Does the community have a security team?
- Is there a safety plan in place to address Covid-19 outbreaks and other illnesses?
- Is the main community center secure during the day and night?
- Who has access to my apartment?
- Is the parking lot well-lit at night?
- Is there someone on-site that I can call during an emergency?
What is your first impression of the community?
You’ll want to make sure you feel comfortable in your surroundings and that the community feels like home. Don’t discount those first impressions — jot down your initial thoughts to reflect on later.
- How do you feel during your visit?
- Do the staff greet you by name in a friendly, welcoming manner?
- Do residents seem active and happy?
- How do the employees interact with each other, and with residents?
- Are the common areas clean and inviting?
- How do the grounds look?
Life at Sonrisa Assisted Living
If you’re looking at options for senior living, we invite your family to visit Sonrisa Assisted Living, designed to support your loved ones to live their highest quality of life.
We offer studio and one-bedroom private apartments for our assisted living residents as well as private or shared memory care suites for those living with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia.
Our memory care residents are cared for by our compassionate and specially trained team — who meet them wherever they are in their journey with patience and kindness. The residents also have access to customized activities, programs, and an elevated secured courtyard.
Our amenities and services encourage our residents in assisted living to engage with others, remain as independent as possible, and be reassured that help is available whenever needed.
In addition to our personalized services, we offer:
- Assisted Living dining room, bistro and two sitting lounge/living room areas
- Memory Care living and dining room
- Elegantly designed common areas
- Fitness and wellness center with physical and occupational therapy room
- A commercial kitchen
- Barber and beauty salon in both assisted living and memory care areas
- 24-hour on-duty care staff
- Secured community
- Art room
- Multipurpose room
- Large state‐of‐the‐art theater
- A large secured Assisted Living and separate Memory Care courtyard with walking paths
- On‐grade parking for immediate use of visitors and staff
- Dog Park
If your family is considering retirement living, we hope you will visit Sonrisa Assisted Living. We are a trusted resource and are here to answer any questions. Contact us today to learn more and schedule a tour.
You may also download our complimentary brochure to get additional details about Sonrisa Assisted Living.